02 September, 2018

Topic Brainstorm

One project topic that I'm interested in is Greek gods of the Underworld. There are a lot of gods and goddesses beyond Hades in the Greek underworld, and there are a lot of little-known myths about them that I really like reading about. I haven't yet found a good source for stories, but the Theoi page on Underworld gods and goddesses could be a good starting point. I imagine this storybook could be told with the frame story of demigods, children of the underworld gods and goddesses, telling each other stories about their godly parents.

Another possible project topic is trickster gods. Trickster gods are fun because, unlike many gods, who act pretty much the same in most myths (like Zeus, who is famous for his habit of turning into an animal, impregnating a human woman, and then dealing with the aftermath very badly), trickster gods are by their very nature unpredictable, and they act as both protagonists and antagonists in myths. I could retell stories about tricksters in many ways, but I'm thinking that a setup where the tricksters are talking to each other about their exploits could be fun- since many myths are told from a third-person point of view, it would be an interesting change to hear them from the point of view of one of the characters. A useful story could be Three Coyote Stories.

I'm also very interested in the Celtic pantheon of gods. I already know a superficial amount about Celtic myths from Dungeons and Dragons, but I'd love to learn more. Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and of the Fianna of Ireland by Lady Augusta Gregory would be a useful story. I don't know how I would retell the stories; I'd have to do a lot more reading before I decide on anything. 

My final project idea is a study of Celtic mythological creatures, like banshees and selkies. I know a fair amount about banshees and leprechauns, but I know most of the Celtic creatures only by name and a vague description, so it would be interesting to learn more about them. Folk Tales of Brittany by Elsie Masson might be a useful book. 

Hades, king of the Underworld. Source


No comments:

Post a Comment