30 August, 2018

Week 2 Story: Ainsley and Deryn


There was once a young nerd named Ainsley. Like many young nerds, she loved nothing more than playing Dungeons and Dragons, and like most Dungeons and Dragons players, she became very attached to the characters she created. One character in particular was her favorite, a wizard named Deryn. Ainsley spent more time creating Deryn than she had spent on any other character- she would write stories about her life, draw pictures of her, and she even made a Deryn costume to wear to Dungeons and Dragons sessions. Her friends all thought she was too obsessed with Deryn, but Ainsley just wanted her to be a real person.

As the months went on, Ainsley felt more and more like Deryn was the missing piece in her life. She started writing letters to Deryn, which she left in a basket over her fireplace, and she’d talk to Deryn as if she was in the room- when her friends expressed concern about her habit of talking to someone who not only wasn’t there, but wasn’t even real, Ainsley merely said that she knows Deryn isn’t real, and refused to discuss it further.

On Valentine’s Day, Ainsley’s Dungeons and Dragons group met for a party. They ate dinner and roasted marshmallows in the fireplace, and eventually their discussion got around to talking about their significant others. Everyone lamented how hard it was to convince their partners that they should go to a Dungeons and Dragons session on Valentine’s instead of going on a date- but when it was Ainsley’s turn to talk, she merely said that she was disappointed that Deryn couldn’t be there. That was the end of the line for one of her friends, and he got up, grabbed the letters off the mantle, and, despite Ainsley’s vehement protests, threw them into the fire. Ainsley, devastated, ordered everyone to leave, and she laid down next to the fireplace and cried over losing everything she had of Deryn. She cried and cried and cried, until she fell asleep.

Ainsley awoke to sunlight streaming through the windows. It was the next morning; the fire had died down, the letters turned completely to ash. And then she heard a voice behind her, a voice she had only imagined before.
“It’s about time you woke up. I’ve been waiting for hours.”
Ainsley turned slowly, hardly daring to hope that it could be true. Sitting on the couch was another young woman, black-clad and blue-haired, with a dagger strapped to her waist and a glowing staff lying on the coffee table.
“D-Deryn? Is it really you?”
Deryn laughed. “Of course it’s me, silly. You didn’t think I’d stay in those letters forever, did you? God, what a boring life. Come over here, have a seat. You’ve spent so long talking to me, I want to talk to you now.” Ainsley walked over to the couch and sat down next to Deryn.
And they lived happily ever after.

Burning letter. Source

Author’s note:
This week, I adapted the ancient story of Pygmalion to a more modern setting. Very few people sculpt these days, but a lot of people play Dungeons and Dragons, and, as a D&D player myself, I can attest to the fact that many people become far too attached to their characters. I also changed the main character from a man to a woman; we have so many stories about man-woman couples in mythology, and comparatively few stories about couples where both members are the same gender, and I felt like there should be more. I also gave the created woman a name, as the woman in Pygmalion didn’t have a name, and she seemed depersonalized because of it (the name Deryn comes from Welsh, and means bird). I kept the symbolism of a burnt offering and a festival of love from the original story.


Bibliography: Ovid's Metamorphoses, translated by Tony Kline (2000). Source

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Raven! Wow, I love what you've done with this story. Bringing in D&D and the process of creating a character makes the Pygmalion story strike me like it hasn't before. I'm an author myself, and I can definitely relate to the emotional experience of becoming invested in a character so much they become like a companion.
    I think to make this story really stand out and overcome the issue that the original has of the "fake" character being flat, you could add some more details about Deryn as she exists within the game. I have never played D&D, so forgive me if something I say is wrong, but I'd really like to get a feel for how Ainsley develops Deryn. What kind of person is Deryn? What kind of world does she live in within the game? What is her story? I think you could even open with a scene in which Ainsley is playing as Deryn so we can see more. It would be incredible if you could really make the character of Deryn stand out from the character of Ainsley even though both personalities stem from the same source.
    Keep up the good work! I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Raven! My story was also inspired by Pygmalion. Yours was a great spin off! It was very creative and very different from the main story, but while I was reading it I could definitely tell that it was inspired by Pygmalion. You did a great job on keeping the reader engaged and I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Raven! To be honest, i have never read Ovid's Metamorphoses. So i really don't know what happen in the original one. But i have to say your story is so interesting to read. The story attracts me to the development of the character Aisnley and how she live in a life that she created.
    Aisnley is so real in her fake life. I am wonder why she behave like that? is her real life so desperate, and so lonely that she want someone who doesn't know anything about her, so she can easily show her emotion?
    The story becomes dramatics when there are conflict between her and her friends.And suddenly she, Deryn, actually appears. I wonder how Deryn, a fake character, become true? Or Deryn just appears on Ainsley's dream? what would happens next if Deryn become true and live with Ainsley?
    Anyway, i very enjoy the story and how Ainsley be depicted in the context?

    ReplyDelete